Baked Ricotta with Tomato Salad
Here’s a tangy, creamy appetizer that will impress anyone. Throw some baked ricotta into individual ramekins to give each of your guests, or yourself, something extra special. A crisp tomato salad is the perfect accompaniment to this low carb, keto-friendly meal.
Macros per serving: 341 calories, 21g fat, 20g protein, 7.25g net carbs
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Baked Ricotta:
- 400g ricotta
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 50g grated parmesan
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Tomato Salad:
- 300g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ teaspoon finely sliced red chilli (or ¼ tsp chilli powder)
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place ricotta in a mixing bowl and beat together with the egg yolks, parmesan, lemon zest, nutmeg, and oregano until smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold these through the ricotta mixture.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Grease four ramekins or even muffin tins well with a little oil or butter.
- Divide the ricotta mixture between the dishes and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- While the ricotta is baking, combine the tomatoes, chilli, onion, oil, and vinegar in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Roughly tear the basil with your hands and toss together with the tomato salad.
- Set salad aside (at room temperature) until ready to serve.
- Remove ricotta from oven and let stand for 5 minutes to cool before turning out.
- Serve the ricotta warm with tomato salad to the side. Enjoy!
Appetizers don’t have to be boring to be healthy:
40 Days of Clean Eating: Salty Sweet Jalapeño Poppers